Subtract something; Add something
Lent isn't just about giving up stuff. It's about giving up something that indulges me and adding something that serves other people. I decided for Lent that I'd give up social media and add in homeless ministry.
What to do for homeless ministry? Our church is in central city and hosts many "neighborhood friends," aka homeless and working poor from the neighborhood, for the Wednesday night dinner. I could help welcome them to dinner. Or I could help take care of their dogs, if anyone came with a dog.
Homeless and Dogs?
Last summer, I organized our youth mission trip to experience homeless ministries in San Francisco. One of the homeless organizations, Taking It To the Streets, has dog obedience classes for homeless individuals and their dogs. It's not the only thing that they do, but it's one important way they engage with "unhoused individuals." They are one of the few organizations that take pets in their housing, "more dogs than people right now, since two dogs had puppies," said their Director, Christian Calinsky.
By the way, Taking It To the Streets is doing a crowdfunding campaign to extend its reach. $50 can cover the cost of a client's monthly Muni pass, while $100 could buy one family's groceries for a week. Follow the link if you want to learn more and do something.
Dogs provide protection for individuals who carry all they own with them and have to be in unsecured public spaces all the time. Dogs also provide companionship to their owners. Dogs can humanize the homeless individual, as others on the street will talk to the dog and then to the person.
However, undisciplined dogs can create a climate of fear. So some of the staff at this non-profit started providing obedience classes for their clients.
Now the homeless people's dogs in the Haight Ashbury are the friendliest and politest dogs in the city.
Dogs at Church?
Last Wednesday I went to see how many of the homeless people that came to our church for dinner had dogs that need to be fed and cared for. I packaged up 50 lb. of dry dog food in single serving bags, and put a week's supply in grocery bags to give away.
No one came with a dog, although some of the folks at the church remembered a dog tied up out front every now and then. I asked people as they went in if they had a dog, and I gave away three grocery bags of dog food.
The next day on my way to work I passed a guy and his dog panhandling at the highway exit ramp. I drove around, caught the light, and handed him a grocery bag of dog food.
I'm still giving away dog food to homeless people with dogs. While I am giving away dog food, I talk with them about their dog. I am noticing how many have a dog.
I'm also noticing homeless people in the city around me, when otherwise I don't even see them. That's one aspect of dehumanizing the homeless, not even seeing them as another human being.
What to do for homeless ministry? Our church is in central city and hosts many "neighborhood friends," aka homeless and working poor from the neighborhood, for the Wednesday night dinner. I could help welcome them to dinner. Or I could help take care of their dogs, if anyone came with a dog.
Homeless and Dogs?
Last summer, I organized our youth mission trip to experience homeless ministries in San Francisco. One of the homeless organizations, Taking It To the Streets, has dog obedience classes for homeless individuals and their dogs. It's not the only thing that they do, but it's one important way they engage with "unhoused individuals." They are one of the few organizations that take pets in their housing, "more dogs than people right now, since two dogs had puppies," said their Director, Christian Calinsky.
![]() | |
| Dogs can help make connections. |
Dogs provide protection for individuals who carry all they own with them and have to be in unsecured public spaces all the time. Dogs also provide companionship to their owners. Dogs can humanize the homeless individual, as others on the street will talk to the dog and then to the person.
However, undisciplined dogs can create a climate of fear. So some of the staff at this non-profit started providing obedience classes for their clients.
Now the homeless people's dogs in the Haight Ashbury are the friendliest and politest dogs in the city.
Dogs at Church?
Last Wednesday I went to see how many of the homeless people that came to our church for dinner had dogs that need to be fed and cared for. I packaged up 50 lb. of dry dog food in single serving bags, and put a week's supply in grocery bags to give away.
No one came with a dog, although some of the folks at the church remembered a dog tied up out front every now and then. I asked people as they went in if they had a dog, and I gave away three grocery bags of dog food.
The next day on my way to work I passed a guy and his dog panhandling at the highway exit ramp. I drove around, caught the light, and handed him a grocery bag of dog food.
I'm still giving away dog food to homeless people with dogs. While I am giving away dog food, I talk with them about their dog. I am noticing how many have a dog.
I'm also noticing homeless people in the city around me, when otherwise I don't even see them. That's one aspect of dehumanizing the homeless, not even seeing them as another human being.


Comments
Post a Comment